Skip to main content

Smith issues statement to respond to rumour

The Storm star has reportedly left his club and the NRL unhappy about his behaviour during an interview on the YKTR Sports podcast, published this weekend.NRL boss Andrew Abdo has said the NRL integrity unit is investigating Smith’s behaviour.Smith had earlier this week come under fire for an apparent suggestion he wants to win a premiership in a Roosters jumper, following reports he had agreed to sign with the club for the start of the 2023 season. Catch all the ICC T20 World Cup action live & exclusive to Fox Cricket, available on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today.Smith also dished dirt on the club’s off-field antics in which he appeared to reveal drinking is “a massive part of the culture” at the Melbourne Storm.Smith’s statement, released on Tuesday morning, declared his comments on the podcast have not been reported fairly. He also made an apology for “how some of the comments have been received”.He also apologised to the Storm, declaring it was “never my intent to disrespect or come across as ungrateful to the club”.The statement was shared by the Melbourne Storm’s official Twitter account. You can read the full statement below.The Daily Telegraph revealed earlier this week, the Victorian club is seriously weighing up the prospect of cutting the Kiwi loose with one year left to run on his current deal. Given Smith will be a free agent at the end of the 2022 season, his playing future has been arguably the biggest story of the NRL off-season as a number of clubs have rolled out the red carpet to impress the star.The Titans, Dolphins, Cowboys and Roosters all made their pitch to lock in Smith, but his comments on the YKTR Sports podcast suggest the fight is over.“I was just looking at the Roosters jersey … going, ‘I want to win a premiership in that jersey’,” Smith said.The Sydney Morning Herald this week reported Smith’s comments caught the Storm off-guard given the club believed it would have an opportunity to have a final pitch to entice Smith to sign a contract extension.Meanwhile, Smith is also facing potential disciplinary action from the NRL and a fine of up to $10,000 should the NRL issue him a breach of contract notice.The Daily Telegraph reported Monday night, Smith’s behaviour on the podcast, in which he uttered the words “f***” and c***” multiple times, could be classified as bringing the game into disrepute. Abdo on Monday confirmed the league’s integrity unit is reviewing Smith’s behaviour, but no action has yet been announced.Brandon Smith’s full statement released on TuesdayI want to address current media speculation going on around me at the moment, and specifically my recent comments on the YKTR Sports podcast.Over the past two months, I’ve read multiple headlines about me day in day out, many of which were untrue, and none that came from my mouth directly.I done this podcast for that very reason. To be fully transparent about the process I’ve been going through.It’s honestly been really exciting throughout and I’m truly grateful to be in the position I’m in.One thing I pride myself on is being myself, and regardless of backlash I will continue to do do.That being said, I do acknowledge and want to apologise for how some of the comments have been received.Specifically to the Melbourne Storm, it was never my intent to disrespect or come across as ungrateful to the club that has done so much for me and my family.And that goes for my coaches, members, staff and most of all, my teammates.I speak from the heart – for better or worse sometimes – and I’m sorry if anyone was hurt by my words.But at the end of the day they are my words.I specifically also want to address the media honing in on my comments around the Storm culture, and it being framed as a “drinking culture” they have going on down there. Our culture is built on hard work and effort as the main priorities.These comments have been taken way out of context, and I implore anyone interested in the matter to please watch the interview in its entirety before jumping to conclusions.This will be the last time I address the comments made on this podcast.My focus is now fully turned to the future with the Melbourne Storm and all the amazing opportunities laid before me.Whatever happens I will give 100 per cent. It’s all I know. If I’m to be labelled a terrible person so be it, if I cuss too much, I’m sorry, but that is me and I will continue to be me.Forever grateful - CheeseSmith’s comments on “piss-ups” at Melbourne StormSmith had earlier said in the podcast drinking had helped the team form such a close bond.“We have so many piss-ups and it’s no secret that piss-ups build relationships, there’s a reason I was getting piss fit this whole time,” Smith said.“Because you just start letting loose, you can talk and be yourself. At the Storm bro, drinking is a massive part of the culture.“We had beer pong competition at my house and Scott Drinkwater, we were playing beer pong, Dale (Finucane) was blind, and Scott kept pouring vodka into his beer cups and he drank a bottle of vodka in 32 minutes, like a whole bottle and he was so pissed.“He doesn’t realise how strong he is, he grabs you and just manhandles you around and 20 minutes later he’s got his shoe and he’s spewing into his shoe.” Via news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site https://www.news.com.au

Comments

Popular posts from this blog