Skip to main content

EXCLUSIVE: Christian Porter opens up about his ‘faith’ in the legal system

Christian Porter has revealed he still has faith in the legal system despite the heavy financial burden of challenging unproven historical sexual assault allegations levelled against him by the ABC’s Louise Milligan. Speaking to Sky News Australia in an exclusive television interview, Mr Porter, who is suing the ABC and Milligan over the allegations, said the saga had not eroded his trust in the legal system. “I’ve got faith in it, I always have done. I had faith in the criminal justice system, I think our civil justice system works very well but what sometimes is missing is a lack of faith in that people don’t use the system,” he said. “At the moment I’m involved in the system and I have faith in the system … it’s not a cheap system for litigants but it is the best system that we’ve got and it’s a very sound system and I think it delivers fair process for people.” Mr Porter was also asked whether he still had faith in the media. “Complaining about media when you’re in politics is like a sailor complaining that the sea is wet,” he responded. “So who would listen if anyone did complain.” Mr Porter said he believed people would be “disappointed” about recent allegations Ms Milligan counselled sources to delete messages. “Nothing should surprise me now but I think a lot of people would be disappointed with that,” he said. Probed on whether he was considering leaving politics, Mr Porter said he was “absolutely committed to the government”. “It’s never occurred to me, given the pride I’ve got in us as a government and what we’ve achieved in the most remarkably challenging circumstances, to not be a part of that going on because I think I’ve got something to offer as part of that government.” Via news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site https://www.news.com.au

Comments

Popular posts from this blog